Old San Juan Heritage Foundation, founded on March 2017, is a socially responsible 501c3 certified non-profit orgnization whose mission is connect with the diaspora with the purpose of creating a cultural psychology that we are one nation for the betterment of all. The Foundation welcomes all Good Neighbors to experience and appreciate Old San Juan as the Cradle of Hispanic Heritage in The New World. Through its humanitarian tours, community and sustainable economic development initiatives the Foundation seeks to enhance the Puerto Rico experience for tourist and residents while contributing to the improvement of the economic status of the residents and businesses located in “La Isleta”, which includes the communities of Old San Juan, La Perla and Puerta de Tierra.
Sustainable Tourism Activities & Achievements
- The Foundation was the first to conduct two unique tours at the SAJU World Heritage Site. The first was an evening candlelight tour at Castillo San Cristobal targeted to late arriving cruise ship passenger entitled “Guardians of the New World… Through the Eyes of a Soldier”. The second Tour entitled “1797 The British Are Coming” was selected by Disney Cruise Line as their Signature Collection Tour.
- Since 2016 we have worked alongside the Puerto Rico Tourism Company’s Sustainable Tourism Division in activities such as:
• The organization of a Cultural Heritage Day Out for El Hogar Niños que Quieren Sonreír – a halfway
home for patients of pediatric cancer.
• Old San Juan with art workshop tour to scholars after the 2020 earthquakes.
• Created Cultural Heritage Day Out for Hogar Rafael Ibarra – a foster home for young ladies.
• Fund Raising for La Casa de Todos – a shelter for victims of domestic violence.
The Community of La Perla opened its oceanfront doors to Tourism to share its proud history, culture and privileged location with The World. OSHF is working alongside the PR Tourism Company on the development of cultural tours and the education to the community to be insert them into the tourism economy.